What to do in a medical emergency abroad?

Was tun bei einem medizinischen Notfall im Ausland? Was tun bei einem medizinischen Notfall im Ausland?

Holidays – the happiest days of the year. Then, suddenly it happens: you sprain your foot or catch a bad stomach bug or your child is taken ill. You need to see a doctor. Or someone in the family ends up spending the holiday sick in bed or even in hospital. With the myCSS app, you have all the emergency contacts you need to hand.

During the day, Alina was playing happily on the beach. But in the evening, she wants to go to bed early. The thermometer shows she is already running a temperature of 40 degrees Celsius. The question is:

Do we need to go to the doctor?

Luckily, Alina’s parents have the myCSS app, where they find the link to the CSS telemedicine centre directly on the homepage. The hotline is staffed by medical professionals who are available to give advice 24/7. They discuss what to do next in Alina’s case. As she also has a sore throat, they suspect Alina might have scarlet fever. The family is recommended to see a doctor.

In an emergency abroad, always make the CSS Emergency Centre your first point of contact:

Where is the nearest doctor or hospital?

The family turns to the hotel staff. They are very helpful and immediately arrange an appointment.

Our tips:

  • If looking for the nearest hospital or a doctor, ask the staff of the place where you are staying or your tour operator or travel agent.
  • If you require immediate assistance, contact the local emergency services or the police directly.
  • Been involved in a road traffic accident? Always notify the police and ask for a report.

Emergency number throughout Europe: 112

Where is my insurance card?

For Alina to get treatment, the doctor needs to see her insurance card. When travelling abroad, it is important to take everyone’s insurance cards with you. The insurance card also serves as a European Health Insurance Card and is recognised in all EU and EFTA countries.

Alina is examined by the doctor, who confirms the diagnosis of scarlet fever. Alina is given the necessary medication and soon begins to recover. The family can enjoy the rest of their holiday together.

Practical: The insurance card is integrated in the myCSS app and available at all times. It automatically opens from the myCSS app homepage if you shake your smartphone. However, when buying medicine from a pharmacy, we recommend that you physically present the card.

How can I get a quick commitment to provide cover?

For many treatments, you will need a commitment to provide cover. In this case, call the CSS hotline on +41 58 277 77 77 and we will immediately take care of your request. We’ll send the commitment to provide cover directly to the service provider, and you’ll see it straight away in the myCSS app.

Do I need supplementary insurance?

Emergency medical treatment in EU/EFTA countries is covered under basic insurance. As a rule, any retention fees must be paid directly at the time. Ask for the original supporting documents and receipts. If you have the right supplementary insurance or travel insurance, this expense will be reimbursed.

Outside of EU/EFTA countries, emergency treatment is covered under basic insurance up to a maximum of twice the amount the same treatment would cost in Switzerland. You normally have to pay these costs directly at the time. We will then reimburse them, minus the co-payment, on presentation of the supporting documents and receipts.

Healthcare costs are very high in certain countries, such as the USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Africa and Latin America. In these cases, it makes sense to take out supplementary or travel insurance.

What do I do with the doctor’s bills?

The bills are usually submitted directly to CSS Insurance for payment. Where this is not the case, you must pay them directly at the time. The myCSS app lets you conveniently scan the original supporting documents and receipts and send them to us online for reimbursement.


Submitting bills

What to do when you receive a doctor’s or hospital bill

Read info