Moving means a lot of work: giving notice on your old apartment, arranging dates for the handover, packing the removal boxes, notifying your change of address, cleaning – and that's only the beginning. We have a whole lot of house-moving tips for you. We also show you how to protect yourself from unpleasant surprises when it comes to the apartment handover and insurance cover.
- Organise removal transport, helpers, removal boxes or a removal company early on.
- Have a clear out while packing.
- Draw up a furnishing plan for your new home.
- Fix dates for the handovers of both the new and old apartments.
Tip: Think about whether it's really worth asking friends and relatives to help with the move. Or does it make more sense to invest in a removal company or a professional cleaner?
How to make moving day child's play
- Label the removal boxes and furniture clearly.
- Make sure the helpers know exactly what their tasks are.
- Never leave valuables unattended. Plan enough time.
- Your health is important! Lift things properly.
- Organise something to eat – because nobody likes to work when they're hungry.
- Notify your change of address to your employer, insurers, phone and internet providers, the driver and vehicle licensing office, etc. in good time, and arrange for Swiss Post to forward your mail.
- If you're changing your place of residence, then you'll also need to register/deregister with the local authorities in person.
- The easiest way for clients of CSS to change their address is online.
Problem-free apartment handover
Prepare as best you can for the apartment handover. Have all your keys ready. Take the record of handover and any list of defects with you. Make a note in advance of what has been damaged. What changes have you made to the apartment? Incidentally, signs of normal wear and tear are included in the rent. Read our tips for handling tenant damage.
N.B.: Make sure you arrange a time for the handover of the new apartment when there is plenty of daylight.
Moving house is the perfect time to review your household contents and personal liability insurance and switch to CSS. Persons insured with CSS Insurance benefit from a 10% client discount.