The stings of bees, wasps and hornets are poisonous, while mosquito bites are more of a nuisance than a threat. Allergy to an insect’s poison and stings to the neck or lips and in the mouth is dangerous. Some insect stings can transmit diseases.
Causes and treatment
- Wasps, bees
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
- Draw a circle around the red /swollen area
- This makes it easier to see if it’s growing bigger
- Remove the sting (bee sting)
- Antihistamine medication for strong skin reaction (redness, swelling)
- Rarely, adrenaline for severe allergic reaction
What can I do myself?
- Carefully cool the sting or bite
- Persons who know that they are allergic to insect poison should always have emergency medication on hand
- Use insect repellent lotion or spray
- Insect screens for windows, mosquito nets for beds
When to see a doctor?
- Bee, wasp or hornet stings to the neck or lips and in the mouth
- Allergic reaction
- Severe swelling around the sting, in the face or neck
- Skin redness over whole body
- Problems with breathing or circulation (heart palpitations, dizziness, feeling of weakness)