A sore throat is a very common complaint and mostly occurs when you have a cold. It usually disappears on its own after a few days. Drinking enough liquids (e.g. tea with honey) can support the healing process.
Causes and treatment
- Viruses: Cold, in particular adeno-, rhino- and coronaviruses
- Most often!
- Bacteria: Tonsillitis, mostly group A streptococci
- Dry and dusty air (irritation of mucous membranes)
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
- Careful examination of the throat and back of the mouth
- Blood test (inflammatory markers)
- Throat swab (suspected bacterial infection)
- The symptoms usually disappear on their own
- Anti-inflammatory drugs Antibiotics (for bacteria)
What can I do myself?
- Drink enough liquids (e.g. tea with honey)
- Wet throat compresses
- Bed rest
- Gargle with lukewarm chamomile tea
When to see a doctor?
- If the sore throat doesn't improve substantially within 7 days
- Earache in both ears
- Chronic hoarseness
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty swallowing
tonsillitis, fever, home remedies