Lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE) is an autoimmune disorder and one of the connective tissue diseases. It causes inflammation of the blood vessels throughout the body; the symptoms are very diverse. Increased sensitivity to UV light, painful joints and skin problems are typical. The disorder is treated with anti-inflammatory medication.
- General symptoms such as fever, fatigue, weight loss
- Painful joints, sore muscles
- Skin is very sensitive to UV light
- Butterfly rash on the cheeks and nose
Causes and treatment
- The exact cause is not known
- Autoimmune disorder
- Family history is a factor
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
- Careful examination of the whole body
- Blood test (inflammatory markers, disease-specific changes to blood)
- Removal of tissue samples (e.g. kidneys, skin)
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
What can I do myself?
- Avoid long exposure to UV light