Accident or illness abroad – what now?


Holidays at last – and then this: you have an accident or are suddenly taken very ill. Read on to find out what's important to remember in an emergency abroad and which types of insurance it's helpful to have.

During the trip: medical emergency or accident

Always call the European emergency number immediately if you have a medical emergency or accident abroad.

  • European emergency number: 112
  • CSS emergency number: +41 (0)58 277 77 77

In an emergency abroad, these documents are key to getting your money faster. Our tip: Send them electronically via the myCSS app.

Time to go abroad: the right insurance cover

In many places, the cost of dealing with an emergency can be very high. That's why it's worth considering what insurance is important. Because accidents and illness can happen anywhere.

Lots of gaps with basic insurance

What basic insurance pays for emergency medical treatment.

  • EU / EFTA states: most of the costs are covered in line with bilateral agreements.
  • Other countries: up to a maximum of twice the amount it would cost in Switzerland.

This leaves gaps. If you only have basic insurance, you could end up facing a large bill. Because you'll have to pay any retention fees directly at the time.

Our tip: Always ask for the original supporting documents and receipts. The myCSS app lets you photograph them and send them to us online for reimbursement.

Unlimited medical costs with travel insurance

Imagine getting appendicitis while you're on a road trip in the United States. The cost of treatment can very quickly mount up, and basic insurance won’t cover everything. That’s what makes travel insurance with cover for medical costs a smart decision.

Unlike many other travel insurance policies, ours include medical costs as an integral part of the cover. That means you can enjoy your trip without having to worry about unexpected medical costs.

Rega transport or business class with Personal Assistance

Personal Assistance provides you with worldwide cover in the event of an emergency. It guarantees unlimited rescue operations and repatriations to Switzerland. It could even mean being able to fly back in business class if you break a leg.

Travel insurance

No matter what your destination, it's worth taking out travel insurance. That way, you can enjoy your holidays without any worries and get assistance by phone at any time, anywhere in the world, thanks to the 24-hr emergency hotline.

Before the trip: important preparations

The list of things you need to pack in your suitcase will vary depending on the country, mode of transport and your plans. But you should generally always take the following items with you when travelling to another country from Switzerland:

Your health insurer's insurance card

It's important to take an insurance card for every member of your family with you. It also serves as a European Health Insurance Card and is recognised in the EU zone and all EFTA countries.

Medication and dressings

What medication you'll need to take with you will depend on your holiday destination, who is travelling with you and what you have planned. Let your pharmacist or (tropical) doctor help you put together a suitable travel medicine kit.


Check that your passport and ID card are still valid. Don't leave it too late.

European Accident Statement

If travelling in Europe in your own car, as well as a warning triangle, high-visibility vest and first aid kit, you mustn't forget to carry a European Accident Statement with you. This standard form helps document the facts about the accident and the details of everyone involved.

Accident or illness abroad

This doesn't just apply at home. A claim must be reported straight away. Regardless of whether or not a vehicle was involved, and the police were present at the scene. That way, your insurance company can make the necessary arrangements to support you.

What to do after a car accident

  1. Stop the vehicles involved and secure the accident site with a warning triangle.
  2. Wear a high-visibility vest and keep calm.
  3. Check the vehicle at the accident scene for damage.
  4. If anyone is injured: stop the vehicle and give first aid.
  5. If necessary, alert the local ambulance or police service (112).
  6. Fill out the Accident Statement form; if you can't reach agreement with the other party, call the police.
  7. Report the accident to your insurance company.

Health insurance premiums at a glance

Calculate premium

What would you like to read now?