In anaemia, either the number of red blood cells or amount of haemoglobin is lower than normal. As a result, less oxygen can be carried through the body, which causes fatigue, paleness and rapid exhaustion. A balanced diet can prevent iron deficiency, the most common cause of anaemia.
Causes and treatment
- Blood loss (injury, nosebleed, etc.)
- Breakdown of red blood cells (haemolysis)
- Iron deficiency
- Folate deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency
- Chronic disease (e.g. coeliac disease)
- Renal insufficiency
- Blood cancer
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
- Blood test (examination of blood cells, iron levels, etc.)
- Treatment of a deficiency (e.g. iron tablets)
- Blood transfusion in severe cases
When to see a doctor?
- Persistent fatigue and paleness
- Growing shortness of breath during physical exercise