Orange juice and water have long ceased to be the only alternatives to alcohol. Abstaining from alcohol is becoming increasingly popular, whether permanently or only for a limited period of time, such as during Dry January. As a result, the selection of non-alcoholic spirits is growing rapidly and creative ideas for delicious and healthier mocktails know practically no bounds. We present our favourites.
Recipe for an Ipanema – an alcohol-free Caipirinha
A “Caipi” is the ultimate among cult drinks. However, many people are unaware that non-alcoholic Caipirinha, often called “Ipanema” or “Virgin Caipirinha”, is just as refreshing. The fresh, non-alcoholic version of Caipirinha is our recommended mocktail for every party.
2tsp. cane sugar
150ml ginger ale
- Cut the lime into cubes and add to the glass. Sprinkle over the cane sugar and slowly crush both with the muddler (don’t rotate).
- Add crushed ice to the glass and pour in the ginger ale.
The finishing touch: lime wedges on the rim and lemon balm add a Caribbean feel.
Jungle Explosion recipe: perfectly sweet and bitter
The non-alcoholic Jungle Explosion cocktail is 2023 Flair Bartender winner Johnny Marquez's favourite drink and his own creation. The tropical drink is the perfect mix of sweet and bitter and can be enjoyed as an aperitif in both summer and winter.
Ingredients for one glass
10ml vanilla syrup
20ml pink grapefruit syrup
5ml lime juice
Ginger beer (non-alcoholic)
- Pour the vanilla syrup and pink grapefruit syrup into a container with the lime juice and ice and stir carefully with a spoon.
- Top up with ginger beer and crushed ice if required.
- Add tropical fruit for decoration – this drink is a feast for the eyes.
Recipe for a Raspberry Thyme 75: refreshment in a glass
This non-alcoholic raspberry thyme lemonade is made with frozen raspberries, freshly squeezed lime juice and a hint of thyme. It’s both sweet and tart and has a delicious herbal note. The drink is perfect for your next barbecue party in the garden (it's quite possible to have a healthy barbecue), for enjoying on the veranda or in a hot tub looking out over the mountains. Try this recipe and enjoy the taste of refreshment in a glass.
1 sprig thyme
6-7 frozen raspberries
30ml lime juice
60ml non-alcoholic gin
30ml non-alcoholic sparkling wine
30ml sugar syrup
- Place the crushed ice, non-alcoholic gin, lime juice (freshly squeezed or else ready-made), frozen raspberries, thyme leaves and sugar syrup in a shaker and shake well.
- Shake some more!
- Pour through a sieve into a tall glass.
- Top up with non-alcoholic sparkling wine.
The finishing touch: arrange frozen raspberries on the rim of the glass or skewer a raspberry on a sprig of thyme and place on the rim of the glass.